We haven't had that spirit here since 1969

Finished off the big Grumpy Weasel story on my humor blog! If you missed reading the end, here's your chance to catch up and see just what the finale of ol' Grumpy's epic was. Recent posts include:





Now let's get back to walking the streets of bunny_hugger's parents' home town! It's been a while getting there but in my defense I've been very tired and, like, pinball on Tuesday ate up every scrap of my free time to do this sort of thing.


SAM_5266.jpg


My next album cover picture. I hadn't been down this road before, which turns out to not have any sidewalk but does have traffic and a speed limit of 45 or so. The odd little arrow is a pair of floor tile(?) with a wood-tile pattern on it, and I thought that looked appealing.



SAM_5268.jpg


And here's the abandoned motel, a decade-plus after its last habitation. Still a good spot to dump furniture if you need to, though.



SAM_5269.jpg


Another of the old motel buildings falling apart. Looks like it'd have been a nice place when there was a place here.



SAM_5274.jpg


In its last incarnation it tried to be apartments. I'm curious what the differences were between the Efficiency and the Studio rebuild of the motel rooms.



SAM_5275.jpg


Last look at a building that's probably a great home for squirrels and raccoons these days.



SAM_5277.jpg


I trust these are the mailboxes for the apartments. There were some pamphlets stuffed into the last of the boxes, but I think those are for houses adjacent to the property instead of the apartments themselves. Notice some of the mailbox doors fallen off underneath.



Trivia: The parasol was brought up to Skylab in a space canister for the T027 (Apollo Telescope Mount contamination measurement) canister, designed to interface with the solar scientific airlock. This allowed the parasol to be deployed using the same rods that the experiment was designed to use. It also allowed for the parasol to be jettisoned in case that were necessary. Source: Skylab: A Chronology, Roland W Newkirk, Ivan D Ertel, Courtney G Brooks. NASA SP-4011.


Currently Reading: When Giants Ruled The Sky: The Brief Reign and Tragic Demise of the American Rigid Airship, John J Geoghegan.