It was my brother on the phone. ``I need your help with something,'' which is the traditional opening for a lot of great ideas that I never really get around to following up on.
``Well, if I can help, sure,'' which is a useful thing to say in any situation since that little conditional leaves you completely off the hook.
The remainder of this dialogue is over at my humor blog, which along with last week's big essay includes the past week's bits:
- Movies With Kanye West, inspired by the eternal question: what if Kanye West were a tiny girl made of candy?
- Missing International Rabbit Day, with our rabbit unhappy once again;
- Reused Thoughts, in which a new recycling bin appears;
- The First Day Of The New Recycling Bin Program, in which I exaggerate how the new program went by about two-thirds of one percent;
- Another Warning From The Dream World, because surely my dreams hold important messages for us all; and finally,
- September 2013 In These Numbers, just tracking how things are going. The Pythagoras essay is popular, for good reasons.
Trivia: A memorandum from D J Markarian, Vanguard Project engineer for Glenn L Martin company, dated 18 April 1956 asks the Naval Research Laboratory for permission ``that we be allowed to use a spring removed from a Victor Mouse Trap, manufactured by the Animal Trap Company, Lititz, Pa, for our magnetic disconnect doors in the second and third stages of the Project Vanguard vehicles''. Source: Project Vanguard: The NASA History, Constance McLaughlin Green, Milton Lomask. NASA SP-4202. (The book doesn't say whether permission was granted.)
Currently Reading: Hitler's Secret War In South America, 1939 - 1945, Stanley E Hilton.